Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each Tuesday, a new list is prompted, and book bloggers display their answers!
Topic for June 7, 2016: Top Ten Reasons I Love The Princess Bride
Hey everyone! For my topic today, I’m bringing you my top ten reasons why I love The Princess Bride. If you know me at all, you know this is my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE. So, I thought I would share why I love it so much with you all today, since I couldn’t think of a very clever bookish topic. (But The Princess Bride is also a book, so it counts!)
- It was made in the 80s – I am a sucker for 80s pop culture! (I swear I was born about 20 years late.) But, The Princess Bride was released in 1987 and directed by Rob Reiner. It was a beginning for many well-known actors today, like Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, etc. And also had some popular faces, like Andre the Giant, Billy Crystal, Carol Kane, and more.
- It is the most quotable movie EVER – I could honestly do an entire blog post on the quotes in this movie. They are iconic! I’m sure you’ve heard some of these quotes even if you’ve never seen the movie. Here are a few of my favorites:
- As you wish (of course)
- Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line. A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! A ha ha ha! *falls over*
- No more rhymes now I mean it! Anybody wanna peanut? AGH!
- Inconceivable! You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- When I was your age, television was called books.
- and there are a billion more, but that would make this blog post way too long 🙂
- It is funny – This movie is actually pretty funny! It will make you laugh 🙂 But what I love is that there are some hidden funny moments, like Inigo in the background of this shot: THE POWER STANCE!
4. The love story – A heartwarming love story that begins so sweetly, and then is torn apart by what seemed to be a death. But then comes back together in an unexpected way. It’s great, guys. JUST WATCH IT.
5. The setting – The sets, shots, and just overall cinematography of this movie is great. The Cliffs of Insanity, the farm where Buttercup lived, the Fire Swamp… I think the creators of this movie were very creative in how they made all of the sets, where they filmed, and just even how they framed some of the shots.
6. The costumes – Really, I think we should just appreciate how beautiful Buttercup’s dresses are. I LOVE her wedding (err…almost wedding) dress! And then there’s Wesley’s mask… “I think everyone will be wearing them in the future.” – Wesley
7. The way the story is told – I love that the movie begins with Peter Falk reading to his grandson. It makes the movie seem so much more magical and story-like.
8. The characters – The characters in this movie are so unique! Vizzini, Inigo, Fezzik, Miracle Max (my fav), Count Rugen, Humperdink… all of these people are just so funny and imaginative. I can’t think of any other characters that are like these.
9. The plot – This movie literally has something for everyone! Like Peter Falk says in the beginning: “Fencing, Fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.” I think everyone can like this movie – if you want a love story…check. Action? check. Humor? check.
10. Simplicity – and lastly, the simplicity of this movie is everything. There are no fancy special effects, no flashy cameos, or really anything special. It’s just a simple story told in a simple way. But it is sooooo good!
So there you have it! The top ten reasons why I love The Princess Bride! While I am ashamed to admit that I never read the entire book (but I did read part of it once), I hope to read it soon, along with As You Wish, which is a book about the filming of the movie, written by Cary Elwes (Wesley).
If you have seen this movie or read the book, let me know what you think about it in the comments below! Like I’ve mentioned, this is my all time favorite movie, and I just wanted to share with you.
Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you on the next page!